This stew of chickpeas and roasted peppers is like a huge hug in a bowl. Roasted tomatoes and peppers have such a delicious, rich flavour.
Are you in the mood for a flavorful and nutritious dish that’s easy to prepare? Look no further than this recipe for roasted peppers and chickpea stew.
The history of roast peppers and chickpea stew can be traced back to the Mediterranean region, where chickpeas have been a staple food for thousands of years. Peppers, on the other hand, were brought to Europe and Asia from the Americas by Spanish and Portuguese explorers in the 16th century.
The combination of chickpeas and peppers has been a popular one in Mediterranean cuisine for centuries, as both ingredients are readily available and can be easily combined to create a hearty and flavorful dish. Over time, different versions of the dish have emerged in different parts of the Mediterranean, with varying degrees of spiciness, sweetness, and complexity.
Today, roast peppers and chickpea stew is a popular vegetarian and vegan dish that is enjoyed around the world. It is often served with rice, bread, or other grains, and can be customized with different herbs and spices to suit individual tastes. Its versatility and simplicity make it a favorite among home cooks and chefs alike.
Grilling the Peppers
Grilling the peppers can be done by using a grilled pan or baking them in the oven. The first choice is detailed in the recipe description. The baking part can be done quite easily by following these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the red and yellow peppers in half, remove the seeds and membranes, and place them on a baking sheet. Brush with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Roast the peppers in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the skin starts to blister and char.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and let them cool. Once cooled, remove the skin and slice the peppers into thin strips.
This recipe is a great vegetarian and vegan option that’s full of protein, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals. It’s also easy to customize by adding your favorite vegetables or serving it over rice or quinoa for a more filling meal.
Tips and Tricks
- Roasted peppers and chickpea stew is a delicious and healthy meal that can be made in a variety of ways. Here are some tips to make a flavorful and hearty stew:
- Roasting the peppers: Roasting the peppers adds a smoky and sweet flavor to the stew. You can roast them in the oven or over an open flame until the skin is charred, then peel off the skin, remove the seeds, and chop them into pieces.
- Use quality ingredients: It’s important to use fresh and high-quality ingredients to make a tasty stew. Use fresh, ripe tomatoes, flavorful onions, and aromatic herbs and spices.
- Add a protein source: Chickpeas are a great source of protein, but you can also add other protein sources such as tofu, seitan, or chicken to make the stew more filling.
- Add broth or water: Adding broth or water will help create a rich and flavorful stew. You can use vegetable broth, chicken broth, or water depending on your preference.
- Experiment with spices: You can add a variety of spices to the stew to give it more depth of flavor. Some popular choices are cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, and turmeric.
- Cook slowly: The longer you cook the stew, the more the flavors will meld together. Cook on a low heat for at least an hour to get the best results.
- Serve with crusty bread: A nice piece of crusty bread is perfect for soaking up the flavorful broth in the stew.
- By following these tips, you’ll be able to create a delicious and satisfying roasted pepper and chickpea stew.
This roasted peppers and chickpea stew recipe is perfect for a cozy dinner at home or a potluck party with friends. It’s packed with protein and fiber from the chickpeas, and the roasted peppers add a sweet and smoky flavor to the dish. Make a big batch and store the leftovers in the fridge for an easy and healthy lunch option throughout the week. Bon appetit!
How to make roast peppers and chickpea stew: A Delicious and Healthy Recipe
- 1 griddle pan
- 1 shallow pan
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 chopping board
- 1 large onion
- 4 red bell peppers roasted
- 100 g cooked chickpeas
- 250 g tomato sauce or 4 fresh chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika sweet
- 1 tsp chilli powder optional
- In a wide bottom pan heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and chickpeas; and sauté for 5-7 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the paprika, chilli powder, salt and pepper to the pot and stir well.
- Add the roasted pepper slices, tomato sauce or diced tomatoes to the pan . Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Personally, I like to serve this stew with freshly baked bread.
- Serve hot and enjoy!