Spiced Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas with Creamy Hummus is a delightful and wholesome recipe that combines the earthy flavors of cauliflower and chickpeas with the smooth and tangy notes of homemade hummus. This dish is a perfect blend of textures and tastes, making it an ideal choice for a satisfying meal or a flavorful side dish.
To start, fresh cauliflower florets are tossed with a tantalizing blend of aromatic spices. Common spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric, and paprika are used to infuse the cauliflower and chickpeas with warm and exotic flavors. The combination of these spices creates a fragrant and slightly smoky profile that complements the natural nuttiness of the cauliflower.
The cauliflower and chickpeas are then spread out on a baking sheet and roasted in the oven until they become tender on the inside and beautifully crispy on the outside. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the vegetables, intensifying their flavors and adding a delightful caramelized touch.
While the cauliflower and chickpeas roast, a velvety homemade hummus is prepared. Hummus is a versatile Middle Eastern dip made primarily from cooked chickpeas blended with tahini (sesame seed paste), lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. The combination of these ingredients creates a creamy and luxurious texture with a vibrant, tangy taste.
Once the cauliflower and chickpeas are perfectly roasted, they are arranged on a serving platter alongside a generous dollop of creamy hummus. The hummus serves as a luscious and flavorful accompaniment, providing a cooling and refreshing element to balance the robust spices of the roasted vegetables.
This dish can be enjoyed as a vegetarian main course or served as a side dish alongside grilled meats or as part of a Mediterranean-inspired spread. Its combination of fragrant spices, roasted cauliflower, crispy chickpeas, and creamy hummus creates a harmonious and satisfying culinary experience that will please both the taste buds and the senses.
Spiced Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas with Creamy Hummus
The recipe for Spiced Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas with Creamy Hummus is a delicious and nutritious dish that has gained popularity in recent years. While its exact origins are difficult to trace, it draws inspiration from Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines, which have long utilized ingredients like cauliflower, chickpeas, and spices in their culinary traditions.
Cauliflower itself has been cultivated for centuries and has been consumed in various forms across different cultures. However, the specific combination of roasting cauliflower and chickpeas with a blend of spices is a more modern development that has gained traction in the culinary world.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, have been a staple food in the Middle East for thousands of years. They have been used in traditional dishes like hummus, falafel, and stews. Hummus, in particular, is a creamy spread made from mashed chickpeas, tahini (sesame paste), lemon juice, and garlic. It is believed to have originated in the Levant region, which includes present-day Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan, and Syria.
The combination of roasted cauliflower and chickpeas with creamy hummus has likely emerged from the fusion of these culinary traditions. The dish showcases the versatility of cauliflower and chickpeas, as they absorb the flavors of the spices used in the roasting process. The creamy hummus adds a smooth and tangy element, creating a harmonious balance of flavors and textures.
Today, this recipe has gained popularity in various parts of the world, thanks to its delicious taste, plant-based ingredients, and health benefits. It is often enjoyed as a main course for vegans and vegetarians or as a flavorful side dish for meat-eaters. The recipe continues to evolve, with chefs and home cooks experimenting with different spices, herbs, and additional ingredients to personalize and enhance the dish.
Overall, the history of Spiced Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas with Creamy Hummus is a testament to the creative exploration and adaptation of culinary traditions, resulting in a delightful and satisfying dish enjoyed by many.
Are you ready to take your culinary skills to the next level? Then come join me in the kitchen and let’s whip up some delicious meals together! From mouth-watering appetizers to decadent desserts, my food blog has it all.
But don’t just take my word for it – try out some of my recipes for yourself and taste the magic. Whether you’re a beginner cook or a seasoned pro, there’s something here for everyone. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get cooking!
Before we get to the bits and bobs of making this wonderful cake – if you like what you’re seeing,
subscribe to my newsletter here to keep up to date on the latest recipes and tips!
Roast cauliflower hummus with chickpeas
- Baking sheet
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Food processor or blender
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 240 g cooked chickpeas
- 400 g cauliflower florets
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pul biber
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp sea salt flakes
- ½ tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 660g chickpeas
- 1-2 finely chopped garlic cloves to your own taste
- 6 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 60-80 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice or to your own taste
- A little ice cold water to loosen the mixture if necessary just add a tbsp at a time
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas. Pat them dry using a kitchen towel or paper towel.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cauliflower florets and dried chickpeas. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over them and toss to coat evenly.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the cornflour, sumac, cumin, paprika, pul biber, garlic powder, sea salt flakes, black pepper, and dried oregano. Sprinkle this spice mixture over the cauliflower and chickpeas, and toss well to ensure they are evenly coated.
- Transfer the spiced cauliflower and chickpeas to the prepared baking tray, spreading them out in a single layer.
- Roast in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and golden brown, and the chickpeas are crispy. Stir them halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning.
- While the cauliflower and chickpeas are roasting, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until they are golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the cauliflower and chickpeas are done, remove them from the oven and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds over the top.
- Serve the spiced roasted cauliflower and chickpeas as a side dish or as a main course with rice or salad. Enjoy!
- Creamy Hummus:
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas from the jar. Reserve a few whole chickpeas for garnish, if desired.
- In a food processor, combine the drained chickpeas, finely chopped garlic cloves, tahini, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Process the mixture until smooth and creamy. If the hummus appears too thick, you can add a little ice-cold water, a tablespoon at a time, and continue processing until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Taste the hummus and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt or lemon juice according to your preference.
- Once the hummus is smooth and seasoned to your liking, transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the top and garnish with the reserved whole chickpeas, if desired.
- Serve the creamy hummus as a dip with pita bread, fresh vegetables, or use it as a spread for sandwiches or wraps.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here. While we may use affiliate links, we would never allow this to influence product listings or recommendations.